The point of origin, for all of the damage in the basement, started in this corner in the boys work room, the sump pump. While we were in CT and NY last February, it had warmed up, thawed and then it snowed 14 inches. They think that something got caught in the sump pump, blocked it, and it stopped working. We had about 5 inches of standing water in the basement. Once the boy had a look at the sump pump, jiggled it a bit, it started working again, no problem.
Then, in July, when we took off for a weekend at the lake (one of only two weekends at the lake last summer) we had another big storm. Thank goodness this time no water problems. . .or so we thought. That Monday, I went to work from sister J's for the day and then off to dinner with the girls. The boy got home from work that day. . . to a flooded basement. This time the sump pump, which seemed to run all the time, was finally dead. The boy called my dad and they jimmyrigged something to work until we could get a plumber out the next day to install a new pump. This time we decided to go with a super duper pump with a battery back-up and an alarm. It cost a pretty penny, but knowing the kind of damage we could have, we decided it was well worth it.
A couple of months ago, the boy and my dad finished off the two rooms. The boy painted the floor in his work room, and the best part, put a wine "cellar" closet in for me. We bought the wine rack off of Craigslist for $25. The boy secured it to the wall so that it holds really steady. He also put shelves in to hold our wine glasses for our wine events. We also have quite a bit of Summit, helps to have volunteer duty there. I LOVE my wine closet and even though there are some empty spots, I hope to fill them soon!
Some before shots.
And Afters. . .