So the boy and I made a list just over two weeks ago. A big list. I am a list maker, BIG list maker. I have lists for everything. This was not a fun list though. It was a list of all of the things that we needed to do before he left, needed to do while he was gone and places he wanted to go before he left and things that he wanted to eat before he left. One of them was my lasagna (which is very sweet). So last night after my haircut (*sadly no eyebrow wax, there was over a two hour wait for that, go figure, but it WILL happen tonight*) and stopping by the tennis club to make sure that I was signed up for the right summer league play, I went home and made up the sauce, put it together and popped it in the oven. It was really nice here last night, so when the boy got home from the gym we went for over an hour walk, bought some fresh flowers for the table, and then came back to dig into lasagna. Sadly now that is just one more item crossed off the list. Part of me says, what happens if we don't cross everything off the list, does that mean he can't leave? Maybe if I stomp my feet and pout.
The tragedy that occurred yesterday at Virginia Tech is very disturbing to me. I hate the fact that some boy felt that his life had come to this and he found it necessary to take the lives of others. I don't know what we could have done to prevent this, but I do know that there are so many children out there who are just looking for that attention, that piece of hope that someone out there cares in a healthy and nurturing way. Volunteering is a great way to spend time with those children who do not have that in their lives at the moment. I was a "Big Sister" out East. Now here I don't have the time to devote to one person like that, I wish that I did, but I do make time to find time to volunteer in other ways. And always remember, it is that heartfelt smile to the right person when they need it most that can always make a difference. Pay a stranger a compliment, hold a door open, just make a difference.
Okay, here are the things I am digging right now,
1. This morning when I opened my dining room blinds I saw buds appearing on the bushes, yeah!
2. Vintage Schwinn bicycles with wicker baskets.
3. Eliza B.'s (I just ordered my latest pair for summer!)
4. Baseball season and tailgating. (Saint Paul Saints home opener is May 14th!)
5. Preppy Potato Belts. I just ordered two last week and cannot WAIT to get them!
6. Ballet flats in any shape or color. I wore my Nordstroms brand ballet mules from 7 years ago all weekend long and was in heaven. I am so glad that I am not that hard on my shoes so that I can keep on wearing things for years to come. (Okay so obviously these are not mine, but they are close.)
7. Clothing swaps. I am so looking forward to the one that I am going to on Saturday. I am excited to pass on things that I have enjoyed to other people and to see what I may be able to swap for!
8. Nail polish in spring colors. I don't get manicures very often but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my pedicures!
9. Decorative folders for my desk. So it doesn't look so lifeless.
10. Lists. Keep me in check, help me to organize my day, remind me of what I strive to be.